Monday, November 10, 2008

Traditional Advertising: Flyers.

At C3, there is an extensive marketing team with lots of interns on designing flyers for shows that C3 books. As a part of my exploration of traditional artist and concert promotion I wanted to see if these flyers are beneficial (or not) for the artist, venue and promoter.

As you can see there is a clipboard right by all these flyers - this is for the C3 Street Team. Street Teams are efficient ways to get your flyers out around town without taking up your own time. Often, Street Team members are compensated for their time by getting free tickets to shows, posters, swag, etc., so if you're a student wanting to hit up great shows without having to pay for a ticket, a little time handing out flyers can get you in. Also, specific artists have street teams - Ben Kweller, for instance - who will be mailed posters, flyers, stickers or whatever else to hand out to pump up the artist in their area.





My next venture will be chatting with some Austin concert-goers to see how they learned of the show they're attending. Until then, my friends.

2 comments:

Mackert said...

This is interesting... I never would have imagined that these flyers were put up by volunteers or people doing it just for free tickets and schwag. Do a lot of students know this? Is there ever a shortage for people interested in helping out on street teams?

I'll stop here with the questions. (For now.)

Grober said...

Tons of students do this, from what I hear around the office. It's just a really affordable way for folks to get into a show - I can see the appeal. Just go hand out flyers, post some up, etc. and see your favorite bands for free...not too shabby.

At C3, I have yet to hear of a shortage for street teams. Same thing for our bands. I think there will always be people who will distribute flyers or do little street teamy tasks so they can get in the show free. Plus, this city is just full of people interested in live music with plenty of shows to promote. So, as a speculative answer, I believe there will always be people interested in being on street teams.